This article will help you to know about the documents, legal procedures, etc. that are required for marriage registration in Nepal.
Marriage is the process of the establishment of relations between two persons which creates their rights, duties, responsibilities, and privileges.
In Nepal, all the proceedings related to the registration of marriage are administered by the chapter of the Marriage of civil code 2017 (2074) and the Marriage Registration Act 2028.
Who can Marry in Nepal?
- The male or female who does not have a husband or wife,
- The male or female who has not gone mad,
- The male and female who have completed the age of twenty years.
Process of Marriage Registration in Nepal
- Submit an application form for marriage registration in Nepal at the ward office or marriage registration officer of your permanent residence or temporary residence at least fifteen days earlier.
- To submit an application, both the male and female or one of them must have resided in the area (jurisdiction) of the concerned Marriage Registration Officer, for at least fifteen days before submitting such an application.
- Submit the other required documents
- Submit evidence of the marriage ceremony and the parties to the marriage and at least three witnesses shall sign a deed of declaration in a prescribed format and submit it to the Marriage Registration Officer and the Marriage Registration Officer shall also put signature in this document.
- After submitting an application and the required documents, the ward office or marriage registration officer will examine it and finally provide a marriage certificate within 7 days.
- A marriage has to be concluded within three months and in case a marriage is not concluded within that time frame one has to submit a new application for the marriage.
Documents required for Marriage Registration in Nepal
- Application of registration
- Passport-size photo of husband and wife
- Citizenship of husband and wife
- Letter from ward office of both male and female mentioning that both are unmarried before or divorced before.
- Submit the evidence related to the marriage ceremony
- Citizenship of parents of husband and wife
- Migration certificate if the marriage certificate is to be registered in another place besides the native residence.
Process of Court Marriage Registration in Nepal
- Letter from ward office of both male and female mentioning that both male and female are unmarried or divorced
- Fill up the application form in the district court from where you are registering
- Application can also be filed from temporary residence. The couple must have stayed in the temporary address for at least 15 days before court marriage. (Temporary residence certificate is necessary from temporary ward office)
- A deed of the declaration by both marrying parties should be signed accepting each other as husband and wife
- If all the requirements are fulfilled and verified, a marriage certificate will be issued by the marriage registration officer in a court after the verification by judge.
Document needed for Marriage Registration via Court
- Citizenship of both husband and wife
- Citizenship of parents of both parties (not compulsory)
- Citizenship of witnesses (any two)
- Passport-size photo of the couple
- Letter from ward office of temporary residence if to be registered in temporary address
- Letter from ward office of permanent address of both male and female mentioning that both male and female are unmarried or divorced.
Process of Marriage Registration of a Nepali and a Foreigner in a Court
- Unmarried Verification Certificate from his/her ward office of permanent residence is collected by Nepali party and No Objection Letter (NOC) is brought through his/her respective embassy located in Nepal for foreigner
- Evidence of witnesses(two witnesses having Nepalese citizenship) of marriage is collected and verified
- Passport and visa of foreigner is submitted.
- Foreigners whose marriage is to be done in Nepal must stay in Nepal for 15 days before the marriage registration day.
Documents needed for Marriage Registration of a Nepali and a Foreigner in a Court
- Letter from his/her ward office mentioning that he/she is unmarried for Nepali.
- NOC is required for foreigners which is brought through the respective embassy located in Nepal
- Citizenship of both couple
- Citizenship of parents of both couple (not compulsory)
- Passport size photo of the couple
- Original passport of foreigners
- Visa of Nepal of foreigners
- The marriage act of a foreign country(foreigner’s country whose marriage is to be done to Nepali) translation in the Nepali language.
Marriage registration in Nepal is a very easy and speedy process.
Questions and Answers
What is the minimum age requirement for marriage in Nepal?
According to Muluki Civil Code 2074, the legal age for marriage in Nepal for both males and females is 20 years.
Can Nepali and foreigners register a marriage in Nepal?
Yes, a Nepali and a foreigner can register a marriage in Nepal by following the legal procedures as mentioned in the Muluki Civil Code 2074 and Marriage Registration Act 2028 by Nepali and foreigners should follow the marriage law of the respective country of their nationality.
Is it compulsory to register a marriage?
Yes, it is compulsory to register a marriage for legal validity. A marriage can be registered either at the court or ward office or at the embassy according to the circumstances.
Can two foreigners register marriage in Nepal?
Yes, two foreigners can register a marriage in Nepal after following all the legal formalities of Nepal. Also, both foreigners should follow the marriage law of the respective countries of his or her nationality.
Should a Nepali citizen follow Nepalese marriage law while marrying in a foreign country?
Yes, a Nepali citizen should follow the Nepalese Marriage Act while concluding marriage in a foreign country.
Can a Nepali register marriage in foreign countries?
Yes, A Nepali can register marriage in foreign countries following the Nepalese Marriage Act.
Can we register marriage from our temporary address in Nepal?
Yes, you can register marriage from your temporary address following the Marriage Act 2028.
Is it necessary to have our parents during court marriage?
If you are above 20 years, it isn’t necessary to have your parents during court marriage.
Can Indians marry in Nepal?
Yes, an Indian can marry in Nepal following legal proceedings.
Can we change our marriage certificate date?
Yes, you can change your marriage certificate date by completing the legal proceedings in your ward/municipality office.
Is same-caste marriage legal in Nepal?
No, same-caste marriage isn’t legal in Nepal. Incest relation is not approved by Nepalese law.
Should husband and wife both be present for marriage registration?
Either husband or wife can register marriage in Nepal following the prevailing laws.
53 thoughts on “Marriage Registration in Nepal (2080) – All the latest provision”
Can Sasura make marriage certificate of buhari if son is missing??
It depends. What type of missing are you talking about?
Can you do marriage registration at age 20
Yes, for sure
What about same-sex marriage?
If it’s allowed, do those forms have gender neutral terms like “spouses”?
Same-sex marriage is not legal in Nepal.
What is procedure to register marriage of Indian Men & Nepali Female if they are already married
we already had a discussion about this issue on the phone, right? Contact us for more legal advices.
what documents are required to make marriage certificate? do we need any jansankya card for marriage certificate?
Can I change my marriage certificate date?my husband is in abroad and before he went we got married after his visa approval . The consultancy he went from told us to register one year before. So our actual marriage date was on 2078/11/06 but we registered 2077/11/06 . And now I’m also trying to go abroad as dependent and I’m having problem because of that.so, Can yo please help me?
contact us at 9862944100
I am from Morang and my partner is from Terathum.
Q1: Can we get court married at Kathmandu?
Q2: Do our parents has to be with us to get married?
Yes, and it isn’t necessary to have your parents during court marriage if you both are above 20 years.
We are indian can we marry in nepal legally???
is any possible to get a marriage certificate now? if a person married before BS. 2047?
Yes after fulfillment of necessary documents and procedures
I got register my marriage in bangladesh through court marriage and now i need to get marriage certificate from nepal.
What can be done to get it
if wife dont have citizenship & birth certificate how we can register marriage certificate but husband have both citizenship & birth certificate .they have marriage by running so wife father & mother are angry
so what is process of getting marriage certificate & citizenship from husband side
Regarding birth registration, one must require the citizenship of one of his/her parents.
There has been an error on our marriage certificate regarding my spouse’s age. Can you let us know on how to correct it as my spouse is out of Nepal?
Visit your ward office for the process with required documents.
I am 21 years old but my spouse is running 20 yrs but not completed. Can I do court marriage in Nepal in the presence of both parents.
20 years of age must be completed.
Husban and wife both parent´s citizenship photo copy is compasary ?
Its been 3 years of marriage but its not registered also i have a one year old daughter…..if in future i decide to leave my husband will there be any legal procedure for my baby attorny???
Mr k.b Dahal,
Would you please don’t mind to tell me the procedure of making marriage certificate in Nepal, A Nepali men already married to Indian women, what documents are required and How long it will take (I have all the documents Nepali Citizenship card nagrita, Passport)
Contact us at WhatsApp for more information
Is foreign marriage certificate valid in Nepal of NRN? Can this certificate be used for National Identity Card?
Namaste. I fot second marriage in B.S.2073 with an Indian woman. We have 1 son born in 2076. We already got birth registration certificate of our child but no marriage certificate yet. Ward office denies to issue it. What can i do for it to get it?
Please let me know about it.
Namaste. I got second marriage in B.S.2073 with an Indian woman. We have 1 son born in 2076. We already got birth registration certificate of our child but no marriage certificate yet. Ward office denies to issue it. What can i do for it to get it?
Contact us on WhatsApp
Sir, Both, husband and wife, must be presented for the marriage registration or either husband or wife alone can submit the application or register the marriage?
Both must be presented.
Can we registered marriage in ward without the permission of female parents ??
WhatsApp us at +977 9862944100 for more information
Sir i register marriage according to birth certificate but in school certificate date of birth was different now i correct birth certificate with school certificate…..can i correct dob in marriage certificate according to school certificate,,birthcertificate and migration card
WhatsApp us at +977 9862944100 for more information
I have a girlfriend of same gotra and planning to get married and settle in abroad next year. My girlfriend parents are agreed but not full support from my parents.In this case if i have to do court marriage, will the be any objections related to gotras?
I would be very thankful if you answer me.Cheers !!!
whatsapp us at 977 9862944100 for the information
My birth date is 2060/11/26.
Can I get marriage certificate?If not then which year I will able to get..
Namaste Sir, In our marriage certificate, my grandfather’s name is incorrect….There is different names in my marriage certificate and my father’s citizenship.Like it’s Dawa in my documents and Tenthele in my father’s ID….So, is it possible to correct my grandfather’s name in my marriage certificate? And If yes,what are the procedure…??
Visit your ward or municipality office, thank you
Can we change our mistake marriage date in certificate?
I am in abroad and it’s impossible to come home for make marriage certificate Is it possible my wife can make marriage certificate with out my present?
Sir, I don’t get you what are you trying to say you mean my wife can make marriage certificate her self without my present?
2060 B.S Falgun 20
Ma janmeko bihey garna milxa ki nai?
I am 65 years American and I want to marry Nepali girl 26 yrs . Is it possible for us to get married ??
Yes, Please contact or whatsapp +977 9862944100