This article will help you to know about the process of birth registration in Nepal.
Birth registration is compulsory as it is the identity of the child which helps them for the various legal proceedings and works and also provides them the rights guaranteed by the constitution of Nepal 2072.
Process of Birth Registration in Nepal
- The application should be submitted to the ward office in the format as prescribed,
- Required documents should be submitted,
- After verifying the documents, the concerned authority will give a birth certificate after several days.
Documents Required for Birth Registration in Nepal
- Documents from the hospital that verify the birth of the child,
- If the child is not born in a hospital, then other documents( like witness),
- Birth time, date and location of birth,
- Citizenship of parents,
- Marriage certificate of parents,
- Migration certificate if migrated.
Various conditions may arise during the birth registration process in Nepal
If the father is in a foreign country then the birth registration should be done under the guardianship of the mother along with her citizenship, father’s citizenship, marriage certificate, and other required documents.
If the child is an orphan then the district head will represent the guardian of the child and the birth registration process will be carried out under the recommendation letter from the ward office of the ward where the child is born/lives.
If the children’s parents are dead or missing then the birth registration is done with the guardianship of the ward head along with the witness of the birth of the child.
For Answers and Questions
How much does it cost to register a birth in Nepal?
It will be free of cost if registered within 35 days of the birth of the child and after that, the ward office usually charges rs 500.
Is it necessary to register a birth in Nepal?
Yes, it is necessary to register a birth for legal validity. The birth certificate is required in all legal procedures like making citizenship.
Can a mother register the birth of a child in Nepal?
Under certain circumstances, a mother can register the birth of the child in Nepal.
Where should we register the birth of a child in Nepal?
You should register the birth of a child in your permanent ward office.